Sunday, May 19, 2013

My "Mare"



As a grandmother, Mother's Day has taken on new meaning for me. This year, in particular, I have been thinking a lot about my grandmother, my “Mare.” I don’t know why but for some reason, as I young child, I began referring to her as Mare, and her name was Leona! Not even close to Mary or even Marian. My grandfather used to sing that she was the old gray mare!

Growing up I spent a great deal of time at Mare’s house. During the summer, I would sleepover frequently after having spent the day playing with my aunts. My two aunts were more like older sisters. Fran was five years older, and Donna, two. They had their own bedroom, but at night, I would snuggle in the cot that was set up next to my grandparents’ bed in their room. There was a loud ticking clock in their bedroom, and I remember falling asleep to the tick-tock of that clock. It was soothing, and I always felt safe.

There was also a bookshelf in Mare and Pop’s room. A shelf full of books-we didn’t have such a thing at our house. I remember sitting in her room and pulling books from the shelf, turning the pages slowly and carefully to look at the words and the pictures that appeared on each page. I remember thumbing through those books long before I was ever able to read them. The pages and the stories they told were the source of many daydreams for me. I would travel to far off places in my imagination. I felt empowered sitting near her bookshelf.

My grandmother’s house was always filled with wonderful smells. She was a great cook. I remember sitting at the kitchen table watching her prepare my favorite foods for me. I felt like a princess having someone take such good care of me. Breakfast was particularly nice because I could watch her while everyone else was still asleep. My grandfather would sit on the rocking chair in the corner reading his newspaper, and I would watch my grandmother carefully fix the morning meal for her beloved family. I always felt loved with her.

My grandmother’s house was one of my favorite places on earth. It was a good place to be. As I make preparations for visits from my own granddaughter, I want my home to be that special place for her. I want her to feel safe, empowered, and loved. Grandmothers touch our lives in so many very special ways. I’m so excited to be in this place in life, loving my granddaughter and feeling the love of my grandmother forever in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment