Monday, February 7, 2011

Valentines and Love


Love comes in many different ways. Romantic love, unconditional love, and of course the love of true friendship. I have been blessed in my life with some wonderful friends, but I typically don’t associate my friendships with Valentine’s Day.

Last year, my friend Pam sent me a package at Valentine’s Day. When it arrived, I held it in my hand and looked at it for a few minutes before I opened it. “What on earth has she done this time?” I thought to myself. I’ll admit I was a bit surprised when I opened it and found a CD.

My dear friend had made a CD for me full of songs about friendship. There was Bette Midler’s “You’ve Got to Have Friends” and “We Are Family.” The CD was full of songs we had sung together over the years and songs that spoke of the special love of friends.

During our long friendship, my two best girls have become part of my family. My kids refer to them as Auntie Pammie and Auntie Carol. My girls come to family gatherings, birthday parties, weddings, showers and funerals. We share a special bond.

We’ve traveled together often. One of those special trips was supposed to be to Atlanta in the fall of 2001. Airport security had become extremely tight after 9/11, and our flight to Hotlanta didn’t look like such a good idea when an overzealous sports fan jumped the security line and shut down the airport. “Go to the gate agent and ask her to switch our flight to New York,” I told a panicked Pam over the phone on my way to Regan National. Having a spouse who is an airline employee has its advantages when quick changes in flight itineraries are needed.

Within a few short minutes, our weekend trip to the south became a weekend trip to the north. We still laugh about that adventure to this day. Laughter, it’s the spice of life! We had packed for a weekend of hiking and casual outings, only to find ourselves in midtown Manhattan purchasing tickets for a Broadway show. A costume change was seriously needed, but it was nothing that a shopping trip to Macy’s couldn’t change!

We had a blast that weekend. Three best girlfriends having fun wherever they were, making the best of any situation. We’re always there for each other, even if it’s been weeks or months since we’ve spoken. I can depend on my girls, and yes, I love them dearly. We are family!

This blog entry appeared in my column : "The Empty Nest" in the Frederick News Post, Sunday February 6, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment