Monday, January 17, 2011

Dissertation Update 2

1:30pm Monday January 17, 2010-Proposal Defense, James L. Bowman Education Building, Cameron Street, Winchester, VA.

Today I defended the proposal for my dissertation, Improving Foreign Language Instruction Through Increased Target-Language Reading. I will admit that earlier in the day I had been terribly nervous. I felt well-prepared, but I was nervous. The defense was to begin at 1:30, but I arrived early and was accompanied by my husband and my dog. I think they added the extra support I needed. They took a walk while I defended.

My committee consists of three powerfully intelligent women. Drs. Brenda Murphy, Catherine Bodin and Ann Lesman. All three are linguists with distinguished careers. They're an awesome bunch. We sat together around the conference table,and I awaited what I thought would be the inquisition. Dr. Lesman began by complimenting me on my writing, adding that my proposal was very well done. The other members agreed that any feedback they offered was minor and Dr. Murphy said "We're really just nitpicking." I know I let out a huge sigh of relief...I'm just not sure how audible it was!

For the next hour, we discussed the research, my study and our unanimous love for teaching. It was fun!

So now with Institutional Review Board approval, I will begin the study for my dissertation. One step up the ladder of three stairs! Or the first letter in Dr. J! Either way you look at it, I'm on the road and there's no turning back!

No comments:

Post a Comment