Sunday, December 26, 2010

A tradition of Giving-A Christmas Angel


For many people, the day after Thanksgiving is a day for shopping. Black Friday. But when my children were small, it was our day to head to the mall, not to shop but to pick out angels. We visited the Salvation Army angel tree each year. My daughter would pick a girl angel and my son, a boy angel. We’d search the tree for angels about the same age as my kids. Then it was off to do our shopping. My children would fret over which toy to pick and then which articles of clothing. It was a time for our family to give to those less fortunate. I remember one Christmas morning, as my daughter was unwrapping her gifts, she looked up and quietly said, “I hope my angel likes her gifts.” In the midst of my daughter’s receiving, she thought about the gift she had given.

Another favorite activity during the holidays was to listen to “Christmas Cash for Kids.” The radio was tuned to the appropriate station the first few days in December each year. We listened to heart-warming stories of how people opened their hearts and gave what they could to help others in our area. My son and daughter would collect money in jars or boxes and then we would drive over to the radio station to present our donation. Sometimes our scout troop pledged money and we’d pile all the kids into cars and head to the station office. The girls giggled at the thought of their voices on the radio as they encouraged their schoolmates to give as well.

We’d also shop for gloves, hats, and mittens to add to the trees at church or at the school. My daughter was fond of pink hats and mittens. Those items would be bagged up, taken off to their destination, and clothes-pinned on the tree. It felt good to know that the people in our community would be helped to keep warm during the cold winter months.

Another holiday tradition was helping with the Boy Scout Scouting for Food drive. Father and son would head off early one Saturday morning to deliver the well-known plastic bags to homes in our neighborhood. The following week, we would all get in the truck and head out to help with the collection. Items in our area were taken to the Brunswick Food Bank. It was always heart-warming to see all the young people who came out to help weigh and sort the copious donations of food.

During the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, I like to take time to do something for others. We have so much, and we are always thankful for that, but my favorite holiday tradition is the tradition of giving. I hold dearly to the old adage that it is far better to give than it is to receive. The true gift of Christmas is the gift of giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment