Sunday, April 3, 2011

Hospital Volunteers


In honor of National Volunteer Week, April 10-16, I thought I would share some of my wonderful experiences with volunteerism.

I have been a volunteer with the Frederick Memorial Hospital Auxiliary for almost fifteen years. Each time that I work my volunteer shift, I am continually amazed by the dedication and service of the hundreds of green vest wearers that assist our community. Volunteers greet patients and guests, assist families, sell cards and flowers in the gift shop, raise needed funds for hospital purchases, and are just generally very busy people.

One of those volunteers, whose energy supply I believe is limitless, is Wendy Brundage. I first met Wendy back in 2003 when I agreed to serve as co-chairperson for the Auxiliary’s annual Snow Ball. Wendy was full of new and creative ideas. She ventured to use new vendors and found different and interesting ways to increase the revenue from the event. The following year, when it was my turn to chair the ball, I tried to fill the shoes she left behind, but I had neither the creativity nor the energy to adequately fit the bill.

Wendy went on to serve as President for the Auxiliary. She carried that same energy and innovation with her to the organization’s leadership position. One of the things that never failed to impress me with Wendy’s work was how her family took up the charge and served right along side her. Daughter Katie chaired one of the Snow Ball committees and was mom’s right hand assistance. Even Wendy’s mother was on hand to offer assistance in any capacity that she could. John, Wendy’s husband, was even part of the act. Wendy recruited everyone in her household as well as those in the neighborhood.

An element of volunteerism that often goes unnoticed is the families of volunteers. Whether they are active volunteers themselves or not, they become helpers in the cause. Many people give countless hours of service to our community but are only enabled to do so because of the support that they get at home. I know that even my poor husband has been recruited to help with mailings and running errands. His assistance is something for which I am eternally grateful.

Our community is filled with people who are more than willing to give of their time and of themselves to make the area where we live a better place. The next time you enter Frederick Memorial Hospital, look for a green vest. They’re everywhere. And with that green vest, I am sure that you will find a smiling face that accompanies it. If you are not already a volunteer in our area, consider joining the forces. It is not only rewarding, but you get to meet some amazing folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment