Thursday, April 21, 2011

Goodbye my dear friend


Today my Cody went off to that big range in the sky. I will miss him terribly. He was a good friend.

Cody was a carrot fiend. He loved carrots! Of course, he never turned down apples, though. They were just as good to my big guy as those carrots. Cody would sniff your pockets when you went down to the barn, expecting a treat. He could spy the treat bag from a distance and was waiting at the gate to greet you if you were carrying that bag.

Cody was also a big lug. When we went riding in the back field, he'd try to head off to the barn when he got tired and thought the ride was over. Not much for work, he liked to just graze in his field.

Cody was a champion, too! We got at least one white ribbon (4th place, and a few pinks (5th) in our career of competition. I always felt badly if we placed though. It meant taking a ribbon from a nine or ten year old little girl and her horse!

Cody was in the newspaper once, picture and all. We used him as the horse for Don Quixote when the Fredericktowne Players did "Man of La Mancha."

Cody's best buddy was Sebastian. They lived together for several years before they even came to our place. And they were here together grazing in the field for some twelve or thirteen years. Sebby died in August of 2007. Cody took his death rather hard, and so in the spring of 2008, we brought Cocoa to the house to be Cody's new buddy.

In the spring of 2010, Cody was diagnosed with Cushings disease. He lost a tremendous amount of weight during the winter of 2009-2010. So he went on a daily treatment of pergolide. I was never able to put the weight back on him. He hated the weight grower the vet put him on. I would mix it in with his sweet feed, and he somehow manged to get all the sweet feed out and leave the stuff that he didn't like!

I spent sixteen years with that horse, and he leaves me with a hole in my heart. A good friend he was. Rest in peace my buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment