Monday, August 1, 2011

Daddy's Little Girl


Since my daughter and son-in-law told us that we were going to be grandparents, I have enjoyed watching the various phases that my husband is going through.

Not long after we got the call from our daughter, my husband sat in his recliner and out of the blue said, “Our baby is going to have a baby.” I’m not really sure that he believed it was possible. It wasn’t so much that our baby was pregnant, but I think he was stunned that we were old enough to actually be grandparents.

It seems like it wasn’t very long after that he mentioned his back ache. Sometimes it takes him a bit longer to get going in the morning. And he keeps asking about the “old guy” in the pictures with me. His impending grandparenthood is quickly aging him!

But yet sometimes he acts like he’s getting younger. He babbles about games that we can play with our grandbaby, and he reminisces about some of the best movies we watched with our children. I can see him planning the schedule of play time with the grandchild.

He gets excited, and then his realistic self steps in. “The baby’s not here yet,” he’ll tell me. He reminds me that I shouldn’t keep making all of these plans. She’s just finishing her first trimester…things can happen.

Then there are those quiet pensive times when I’m certain that he’s asking himself the same thing that I keep asking myself. Where did all that time go? It seems like twenty-eight years have just flown by.

I watch him gaze at our baby girl. I know that he just wants to hold her a bit longer. Just like I do. Our baby. And yet, I know that he is as excited as I am. We get to share that special joy of parenting with her, and with our son-in-law.

Now, we just have to come up with names! What do we want this new baby to call us? On to the first challenge of grandparenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment