Saturday, December 11, 2010

Dissertation Update


On Monday December 6th, I met with my dissertation advisor, Dr. Brenda Murphy. We reviewed what I had submitted for my proposal...all 60 pages. She agreed to submit the document to my reading committee! The defense of my proposal is scheduled for Monday January 17th at 1:30pm. I'm really on my way!

Less than a month ago, I had great doubts about being able to complete the task at hand. I had submitted a rough draft of my literature review and received an email from Dr. Murphy saying "We need to meet. The lit review needs some major work." Major work! I panicked at the thought. When we met, she handed me the pages I had submitted. It was a bit difficult to see what I had written through all the red ink she used to mark where changes needed to be made. On the way home from our meeting, I decided that everything we had scheduled for Thanksgiving break needed to be cancelled. I had some major work ahead of me.

For the four days of Thanksgiving vacation, our dining room table looked like a disaster. Books and papers were everywhere. By Saturday I had made great progress. I could see light at the end of the tunnel, so I decided to attempt an all-nighter. I had delusions of finishing before I went to bed. By 1:30 Sunday morning, I was fading, so I decided to head to bed and finish up in the morning. By noon on Sunday, the document was completed! I thought about emailing the finished product to my advisor then, but decided to wait and proof it a few more times. Finally at around 8pm Sunday, I hit the send button to email the proposal to Dr. Murphy.

It was both relief and panick. I was terrbily afraid that the next time I saw that document it would be loaded with red ink. I waited an entire week to hear something, some hint from my advisor about her thoughts. I heard nothing. It was a long ride to Winchester on the 6th. I took a deep breath as I climbed the stairs to Dr. B's office.

But my proposal was accepted and sent on! Now, on to the next step. I might just get to my goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment