Saturday, September 11, 2010

And so we begin

In May of this year, I passed my comprehensive exams for my doctoral program. I was assigned a dissertation committee chairperson and we had our first official dissertation meeting in August. Just this week, I submitted to her about seven or eight pages of my writing. We met, she gave me some feedback, we chatted and developed a time line for my progress.

My dissertation committee is in place. Three women whom I respect and trust. Three women who are dedicated to the instruction of language. Three women who dedicate themselves to being the best teachers so that their students will learn and grow. How fortunate am I. I have a husband and family who are supportive of my work. My husband listens as I rattle on about studies and methods. And I have students who are eager to bestow upon me next year the title of "Dr. J." I can do this.

I sit at my computer and realize that I am actually in the process of writing a doctoral dissertation. It's a bit overwhelming. When I look at what I must complete, I ask myself if I can really do this and am I completely crazy. Why at fifty years of age would one do something like this! And then I consider all that I have already learned from my program. My teaching has improved so much because I have implemented methods that I have read about and studied. The implications of my research will improve that.

But wow! Three chapters by the end of November and it is now September 11. And so I begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment